Friday, December 7, 2007

The Willingness to Change

When I was Young and free
And my imagination has no limits,
I dreamed of changing the world.
As I grew older and wiser,
I discovered the world would not change,
So I shortened my sights somewhat
And decided to change only my country
but it too seemed immovable
As I grew into my twilights years
in one last desperate attempt
I settled for changing only my family
Those closest to me, but alas
They would have none of it
And now as I lay on my deathbed
I suddenly realize
If I had only changed myself first
Then by example I might have changed my family,
from their inspiration and encouragement,
I would then have been able to better my country,
And who knows, I may have even change the world
(An Anglican Bishop,1100AD, as written in the Crypts of Westminster Abbey)

No comments: